Custom Gates and Railings in Palm Beach Gardens
Palm Beach Gardens is a city in Palm Beach County, Florida, 77 miles north of downtown Miami. As of the 2010 United States Census, the population was 48,452. Prior to development, the land that became Palm Beach Gardens was primarily cattle ranches and pine forests, as well as swampland farther west. In 1959, wealthy landowner and insurance magnate John D. MacArthur announced plans to develop 4,000 acres and build homes for 55,000 people. MacArthur planned to build a “garden city” so he named the city accordingly. The city was incorporated as a “paper town” (meaning that it existed only on paper) in 1959. The 1960 Census recorded that the city officially had a population of one, apparently a squatter whom MacArthur had allowed to stay on his property.
Rapid development took place in the 1960s. By 1970 the city had a population approaching 7,000 people. To showcase his new community, MacArthur purchased an 80-year-old banyan tree located in nearby Lake Park, that was to be cut down to enlarge a dentist’s office. It cost $30,000 and 1,008 hours of manpower to move it. A second banyan was moved the following year. While moving the first banyan tree over the Florida East Coast Railway, the massive tree shifted and disconnected the Western Union telephone and telegraph lines running adjacent to the railroad, cutting off most communications between Miami, 78 miles to the south, and the outside world until the damage could be repaired. These trees remain at the center of MacArthur Boulevard near Northlake Boulevard and are still featured on the city shield. In January 2007, the great-grandson of impressionist artist Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Alexandre Renoir, presented a painting to the city which depicts the Gardens banyan tree. It is currently on display at the city hall on North Military Trail.
City growth was slow but steady throughout the 1970s and 1980s, as the population has still not reached the predicted 55,000 people envisioned by MacArthur. However, the opening of the 1,300,000-square-foot Gardens Mall in 1988 initiated a new wave of development, as did the selloff in 1999 of approximately 5,000 acres in the city by the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation. Development of this property happened quickly and led to much new growth in the city. The city adopted an Art in Public Places ordinance in 1989 and has amassed an eclectic collection of works. Custom Gates and Railings is proud to say that our gates and railings help improve the art aspect of the city by turning the ordinary steel gates into extraordinary works of art. Contact us today at 561-289-7709 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.